What is the Disability Information Service?
The Disability Information Service is an independent personalised phone-based service that provides information on disability services systems such as the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) for South Australian residents. The Disability Information Service can also help you to find and make contact with the services, supports and product suppliers who best suit your requirements. Face-to-face meetings with Disability Information Service staff may be possible under some circumstances.
Who provides it?
The Disability Information Service is provided by Catalyst Foundation, which was formally known as the Seniors Information Service and which has been custodian of the former DIRC (Disability Information and Resource Centre) database since late 2014. Catalyst Foundation is an organisation that is dedicated to the motto “People Helping People” through the provision of information, referral, linkage, support and education.
Do you have a diagnosis?
If you haven’t had a diagnosis contact your GP for a referral to a specialist.
Have a diagnosis, but not linked into a disability service system such as the NDIS?
Please give us a call on (08) 8168 8776 and we will lead you through the NDIS eligibility requirements, the roll out of the program in South Australia, and the steps you need to take to test your eligibility. If you do not meet the age restrictions which apply to the NDIS, or if you live in an area where that service is not available yet we can help you explore other options.
Have a diagnosis, linked into a system, but no planner or plan yet?
Please contact us on (08) 8168 8776 and we will help you explore the options available to you.
What we can’t do
We cannot assess the degree of your impairment for NDIS eligibility purposes. This must be done by your treating doctor / specialist.
We cannot advocate on your behalf if you experience difficulty when dealing with the National Disability Insurance Agency or any of the service providers. However we can provide you with contact details for the relevant complaint and advocacy services.
We cannot do case management.
Useful Contact Numbers
- Access Cabs 1300 360 940
- Advocacy for Disability Access and Inclusion (08) 8340 4450
- Country Callers 1800 856 464
- Australian Human Rights Commission 1300 656 419
- Carer Gateway 1800 422 737
- Centrelink (Disability, illness or injury and Carers) 13 27 17
- Companion Card 1800 667 110
- Department for Communities and Social Inclusion 1300 786 117
- Disability Advocacy & Complaints Service of SA (08) 7122 6030
- Disability SA (08) 8415 4250
- Emergency after-hours service: (08) 8372 1414
- Housing SA 13 12 99
- Independent Living Centre 1300 885 886
- National Disability Coordination Officer (08) 8207 8652
- National Disability Insurance Agency 1800 800 110
- National Relay Service – TTY- 1800 555 630
- Office of the Public Advocate (08) 8342 8200
- Public Trustee (08) 8226 9200
- State Government Concessions 1800 307 758
- Technology for Ageing and Disability (SA) Inc. 1300 663 243